SiberianFox.com Siberian Fox Network Testing and Development Forum.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Promote
SiberianFox.com

SIBERIAN FOX

Log-in to remove these advertisements.
Lobby Fodder (say hi & be nice to me!)
Musings: 4
Post 25 Jan 2008, 21:25
I smell phpBB3. Want.

Are you planning on leaving avatars aligned to the right of the post body once the final template is complete? I saw this on a few other phpBB3 forums the other day and was surprised. Some kind of radical default?
36% Corrupt
Musings: 734
Ideology: None
36% Corrupt
Post 25 Jan 2008, 21:43
Yeah it's the new default theme. I don't intend to keep it. Since English is read from left to right, and the first thing one wants to know before reading a post is who wrote it, I don't think it makes any sense.

What you see here on SF.com is not quite the default template. I am slowly rebuilding it to suit PoFo's needs and style. Once finished I'll make new headers for each of the sites and upgrade in the order:

HiFo
PoFoUK
S-E
PoFo

That is, smallest database to largest. That should make it easier to fix any screw-ups, since I'm likely to have for forgotten the conversion procedure by the time I finish the templates.

Thankfully phpBB3's conversion skips the search tables and allows for rebuilding them from scratch in the new database instead, which with any luck will stop the server hanging itself to death converting PoFo's database.
Musings: 4
Post 26 Jan 2008, 19:46
Siberian Fox wrote:
Since English is read from left to right, and the first thing one wants to know before reading a post is who wrote it, I don't think it makes any sense.

Agreed. At a glance, it seemed to me that it would only manage to disassociate the content of a post from the account replying. And in doing so, perhaps, weaken (or otherwise slow) the development of e-identities; thereby retarding the proliferation of board culture; thereby diminishing the community's ability to integrate (and therefore retain) new membership. It'd be interesting to see what the contrast between member retention statistics would be like on established messageboards running phpBB2 left-align account info 'upgraded' to phpBB3 right-align account info.

Siberian Fox wrote:
That is, smallest database to largest. That should make it easier to fix any screw-ups, since I'm likely to have for forgotten the conversion procedure by the time I finish the templates.

Heh. Poor HiFo, the network's test-monkey. Anyway, I hope the conversion goes well. The new software has a lot of neat automation, and post-report buttons in particular are very useful things. It certainly took them long enough to release it.
36% Corrupt
Musings: 734
Ideology: None
36% Corrupt
Post 27 Jan 2008, 13:37
Vivisekt wrote:
The new software has a lot of neat automation

It does. I don't think I'm really going to get the most out of the new admin panel until PoFo's upgraded. There are a lot of possibilities. One idea I have is allowing people to make their own discussion groups to give them a sense of identity on the board. PoFo is a big(ish) place, and it's hard for a newbie to feel appreciated. By joining a user-group of like-minded people with their own private place to talk it might increase member retention.
Log-in to submit your comments and remove Infolinks advertisements.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
Political Forums: The Politics Forum, The UK Politics Forum. Historical Forums: The U.S.S.R. Forum, The History Forum.
© 2004- Siberian Fox network. Privacy.